The old weblog of Emma Boyd :: now blogging at http://emmsy.wordpress.com

Friday, September 09, 2005

Stupid internet...

FINALLY getting to update... live from the Wash Basin lol. My internet connection from home seems to have packed in, and since I've actually been in school very little this week I've had to forgo blogging.

What a waste of time yesterday was. I went up to Queens University (Belfast) open day with school. I already knew I didnt really want to go there, but as I'll probably be appling in case I dont get into the ones I want to go to, I went to see it anyway. Pretty much just confirmed what I already knew. I missed the only talk I wanted to go to (maths) as we arrived too late, so we had a wee nosy around the campus and then headed into town for lunch, swiftly followed by coffee at Starbucks... best part of the day.

Today was a little better it must be said, went to Methodist College (a school in Belfast) for a 'higher education convention'- basically a lot of universities from mainland UK. Had a chat with a few of them, got some more prospectuses (is that even a word?). MOst importantly, I found out about BUNAC. It's an organisation that runs gap year programmes and work abroad programmes. I got to have a chat with a lady about taking a year out to work in New Zealand, and it turns out that she had been on the programme in NZ too, so it was really useful. It's still expensive, but is a lot more afordable than other options I've looked at, especially because you can work your way around.

Yesterday afternoon was also the first CU meeting of the year - my first in charge! - and from the feedback I've been getting I think it went pretty well. We had quite a lot of 5th years along, and probably about 60ish in total. I was actually speaking at it, only for about 5 mins like, but i was still a little nervous. Its strange, because I knew that I was saying something God had told me to say, so I wasnt nervous about that, but I was still just a little nervous about actually getting up there and speaking! I think it went ok though. I shared a little bit about our vision for CU this year, in aiming to be a loving community (see Matt 13v34-35). Heres hoping lots come back next week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home